SC

November 4, 2008 SC Meeting Minutes

Absent: Ashley, Trevor, Luke, Lauren W. Emily, Chris

SC Advisor Report – Gail

Mentor program now recruiting for spring 2009

Executive Officers Reports

a. President: Seda Savas

i. Halloween party wrap-up

ii. Fall Event-The event will be Saturday, 23 November 2008. The Social Activities Committee will meet Thursday 6 November 2008 at the Holland Center from 1:00-2:00pm.

iii. Institutional Transformation-The Monterey Institute Board of Trustees met in October. Before the Board meeting, a group of students from the MBA program created an MBA-specific survey and submitted this survey to Board members. In addition, the MBA working group (Task Force) put together a priorities document, which was passed onto the Board members. In order to address these documents and listen to student concerns, the Board changed their schedule and convened a full meeting of the Board, allotting an hour to listen to students. One student from the survey group was invited to represent the MBA survey group and one person from the Task Force was invited to represent the MBA Task Force. SC President was at the meeting to represent the entire student body and presented degree program-specific student reactions gathered by SC representatives in addition to the results of the school-wide SC survey. At this meeting, the Board made a verbal commitment to incorporating student feedback in figuring out the details of the integration and to improving communication between the administration and the students regarding news and announcements on the integration. President Designate Sunder Ramaswamy has changed his schedule to visit campus earlier. He will be here on November 13 to hold school-specific meetings with students, faculty and staff. Students are highly encouraged to attend this meeting.

iv. November Happy Hour

v. Midnight Breakfast-Student Council members agreed to hold the breakfast the week before finals at the Holland Center. David recommended sponsors to help run the event to relieve strain on SC members. He will be in charge of finding these volunteers. Depending on the cost, SC may hold multiple events during the week before finals.

b. Vice President: Trevor

i. VP Report-No report

ii. Volunteers for Excellence in Teaching Committee-Trevor IPS, Lauren IPS, Jessica LEL, Shawn IEP, John IPS, Jenny MBA, Addi MPA, Alex ITP

MONTEREY INSTITUTE OF INTERNATIONAL STUDIES

FALL 2008 – SPRING 2009 STUDENT COUNCIL

Student Council Meeting

November 4, 2008 B106 12:00 – 2:00

c. Treasurer: Luke Smith

i. Budget-No report

d. Secretary: Lauren M.- No report

Program Officer Reports

a. IPS-In regards to a class gift, Luniya reported no response as of yet from IPS students.

b. ITP-There will be a professor-run trip to the San Francisco port November 20, 2008.

c. ETF Co-Chair-They would like to encourage MIIS students to remember sustainability issues when planning events.

d. MBA-There was a suggestion from a student to use MBA funds for a coffee machine

e. T&I-There are some complaints from students that the classrooms are locked on weekends. Students must make a reservation at least 2 days before the would like to use a room on campus. Student Council members mentioned that during finals weeks this could be a problem as Samson and Holland are crowded. Luniya will look into the new policy.

f. MPA-Representatives are working with professors planning an MPA dinner.

g.TFL/TESOL-No report

h. IEP-Representatives started video interviews last week and will work to post the first ten within the upcoming weeks.

i. Social Activities Chair-No report

Committee Reports

a.Academic Affairs-No report

b.Budget-No report

c.IT-No report

d.Social Activities-David is seeking sponsors for fall event. He will check on local charities for food donations.

e.Forum/Conference Funding-Conference Funding Committee will meet every other Tuesday.

Adjournment

MONTEREY INSTITUTE OF INTERNATIONAL STUDIES

FALL 2008 – SPRING 2009 STUDENT COUNCIL

Student Council Meeting

November 4, 2008 B106 12:00 – 2:00

Conference Report: Extending Your Business into Latin America and Emerging Economies

by Daryl Sando

The Seminar covered the basic considerations needed for overseas investment. I found the discussion quite interesting and a good review of the challenges faced by international businesses, especially small ones. What was most beneficial was meeting and hearing from local small business owners about their overseas investments. There were people doing business in anywhere from Mexico to Taiwan, and from Canada to the Ukraine. I think in the past I have underestimated the substantial amount of small business owners that do work overseas. I always assumed it was mostly large corporations, but now with the invention of the internet and the ease of transportation, small to medium sized local mom and pop businesses work worldwide. What is interesting is that even though these companies do business worldwide they might not know how to do it properly, most effectively, and/or most efficiently. There seems to be a huge need for this type of specialized business knowledge. Overall the lecture was very informative and I enjoyed hearing from people who were either new to the field or had been doing it for decades.

After the lecture I stayed for the Monterey Bay International Trade Association’s annual luncheon with Congressman Sam Farr, a former student of MIIS. It was a very interesting talk where he outlined the current state of the many south and central American free trade agreements. It was nice to hear about these agreements from a congressman and the political pressures that either facilitated or hindered the agreements success. Probably the best item he covered was the new challenges of trade agreements in general. They originally were built for economic concerns and only dealt with economic concerns. Yet now trade agreements are made as a gesture of a type of relationship or as reciprocation for something or possibly to begin creating a better relationship with a country, and must address both political and environmental concerns. As an international trade policy student I found this part particularly of interest and found it important as I continue my studies at MIIS and begin looking at my future career.

Conference Report: Anti Gang Violence and Gun Control

by Vinod Bhasker

The Department of Justice as part of the Project Safe Neighborhoods had organized a three day training conference for all those connected with education, peace keeping and law enforcement. I was particularly interested in this program on two counts. Firstly MIIS is planning a course on this aspect of arms control. Secondly gangs are the result of any insurgency that has ended without adequate reintegration and demobilization. There are many areas in my country which are affected by gangs of ex insurgents who use violence to control the drug, arms and human trafficking ‘business’. These gang members are heavily influenced by American rap music and ‘gangsta’ culture and like to imitate them in dress and deed.

The conference was about how to tackle these threats on at various levels. The whole focus was on addressing the demand side of gun control. This has to be done in a coordinated way with the involvement of not only the police and administration but also teachers, school authorities, church and of course parents. If the motivations for joining a gang are removed, if the recruitment to the gangs is prevented, a major part of the battle is won. Simple steps can go a long way in preventing youth from getting influenced by gun and gang culture. Something as simple as turning gang graffiti into art and rerouting traffic can make a major difference in the fight against gang violence and small arms proliferation. More people have died from small arms than from bombs or nuclear weapons… Makes you think

Conference Report: Dare Greatly

By Matthew Paul

Partaking in the 2008 West Coast Green Building and Innovation Conference was not just a learning experience it was quite simply, inspiring. With over 380 exhibitors showcasing the latest in resource-efficiency, green building and intelligent design, this conference displayed the extraordinary advances being made every year. Some of the most popular exhibits included: a two story home built of reused shipping containers, a bicycle with a built in water purification and storage system intended for use in developing countries and a sports car that runs on compressed air. Complimenting the ingenuity and technological advances, were over 100 experts and visionary leaders, presenting their latest developments, insights, and inspiring thoughts. Included in this field was keynote speaker Al Gore, who spoke in length about the need for a national energy grid and the hope for renewed federal energy policy. However, the dominant theme throughout the convention was “Dare Greatly.” Mr. Gore and many others touched on this topic, encouraging each and every one of us to act now. Not to wait for federal or presidential change but rather to take a risk, be inspired and in return help inspire others. Consequently it was hard not to feel inspired, feeding off the energy, enthusiasm and ideas people were creating; expanding the limits of what was previously thought possible.

In a time, where the media seems to dictate the somber mood and pulse of society it was refreshing to be in an “oasis” where there was such a strong undercurrent of optimism and hope. What is taking place right now, as witnessed through this conference, is nothing less than a revolution. From the bottom up, people are coming together to change the current system, to show a better way, a healthier way to live in interact in this world. And like a strong undercurrent, it eventually needs to surface, little by little at first, and then with little warning, it will erupt. Spewing an unstoppable force of innovation that will not be contained, nor corrupted by forces of the past. So it was with this optimism that I returned back to Monterey, re-energized to continue my studies and in my own way, dare greatly.

Conference Report: Green Trade Network Summit

by Nicole Gully

Purpose of the Conference: The Green Trade Network Summit hosted by the Monterey Bay International Trade Association intended to expose west Coast business owners to the newest export technologies that offer environmentally sustainable services. The Green Trade Network Summit exhibited the works and ideas of experts and companies from both the public and private sectors. They discussed and presented their ideas and successes in growing the “Green Way”. The participants discussed innovative businesses methods through trade and investment.
I attended the 9 hour conference in Santa Cruz, California as an attendee. My day was spent listening to various topics of the presentations and networking afterwards with the presenters. While there, I explored the role of environmentally sensible innovations and technologies in trade relationships. The conference topic and activities relate to International Trade Policy in that actors in trade should remain concerned with changing regulation and products as well as their uses in throughout the world. I felt that the Trade summit was an example of that preparation.

October 28, 2008 SC Meeting Minutes

Absent: Addi, Shawn

SC Advisor’s Report

Ashley mentioned one student’s concern that Student Council members receive lunch at SC meetings. Seda clarified this amount is $70 bi-weekly for 23 people and SC does this because meetings take place at lunch time. Ashley added that she invited this student to come to Student Council meetings and that this is acceptable considering the amount of time SC members volunteer for Student Council.

Executive Officers Reports

a. President: Seda Savas

i. Halloween Party: There is no free beer and wine all night because of a venue breach of contract. Alcohol is free only until it runs out. Students must bring MIIS ID and State ID/Passport. Outside alcohol is not allowed.

ii. Fall Event: This yearʼs theme will be a fall theme. Seda proposed having a fun and games section with activities such as bobbing for apples, face painting, obstacle course, et cetera. There will be drinks and cold appetizers. David is seeking in-kind donations for food. Allison suggested finding volunteers with art abilities to paint faces. Jacqueline will check alcohol prices. David suggested people donate a can good for a local organization. Ashley mentioned a dunking machine and bouncy castle are approved by the institute however, people must sign a liability release. The event will be Saturday, November 22, 2008.

iii. December Graduation: This year there will be a catered garden party for graduates at Samson Center. All student council members will participate for setup and to work the event. It is not open for all students; it is strictly for graduating students and their families.

iv. Class Gift: Lauren W.: Adopt a Highway, Televisions, Jenni: credit cards for Samson Center, donation to MIIS library Bulbul: ATMs David: Televisions with newsfeed (whatʼs going on in the school), sink next to microwaves in Samson Center Jung: More drinking fountains or water filters, a paper shredder, good coffee vending machine, whiteboards and markers for every classroom Jessica: noise guards on doors in the quiet study areas Jacqueline: motion sensor lights to address sustainability Seda: dishwasher (will compare notes with sustainability council)

b.Vice President: Trevor: He will meet with the Excellence in Teaching Committee.

c. Secretary: Lauren Messing
i. SC Contact Information List

d. Treasurer: Luke Smith
i. Budget

SC Program Representatives’ Reports

a. IPS Rep – Luniya Msuku

i. Global Majority Group Happy Hour Sponsorship-Non Campus group is able to help but they should contact Chris and follow all institute requirements

ii. Water Dispenser- There are concerns the machine is not serviced as often as it should. Luniya checked and it is serviced on a regular basis, every 2-4 months.

iii. Library Online Renewal-A system is very expensive and time consuming. Students may renew online but have to do it before it is due. There are plans in the future to use Middleburyʼs system.

b. ITP Rep – Lauren Wygonski

i. Happy Hour Pros and Cons- There are concerns from security guards that SC members are not checking IDs. Student Council members should make sure everyone has their hand stamped; they must also cover the front back stairs and side entrances. Chris will email volunteer signup list to groups who are sponsoring the event; SC members then fill additional volunteer spots.

c. IEP Rep – Jacqueline Gaskill

i. ETF and IEP Clothing Swap-Emily will speak with the Social Activities Committee. ii. Jacqueline will post interesting internships on a Moodle site.

Committee Reports
a.Academic Affairs
b.Budget-Club allocations are finished. Student Council Conference Funds are completely gone but there are four different school budgets so students may still apply.
c.IT- The new IT Committee Chair is Devan Hankerson. She will check on MacBook wireless issues.
d.Social Activities-Jonathan suggested getting a DJ for events.
e.Forum/ Conference Funding-This group meets every week on Wednesday.

Adjournment 1:30pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: